My Family's Date Squares

date squares (1 of 1)

These? These are pure Christmas. No matter what else is going on, no matter if we're spending Christmas in Denver or in the mountains (usually it's the mountains. Spoiled, I know), these date squares must be involved. Somewhere along the way my sister decided, in her infinite infant wisdom, that she didn't like date squares. Hey, that's cool. More for me. I wish I had never convinced her to try them again as an adult. But I didn't want her to miss out on one of the season's greatest pleasures.

It's always my mom who makes these squares, just as the recipe is written on her old recipe card, the same every year. But last year, a miracle of innovation occurred. She grabbed the wrong measuring spoon when adding the salt and ended up doubling the amount. And it. Was. Delicious. I know the salt/sweet combo is all the rage lately, and there is a darn good reason why. that extra salt took these unassuming little bars totally over the top, and I don't think we'll ever be going back. The extra salt has been added to the recipe below. No matter where in the world I am for Christmas, these bars always mean home. My mom has a great Joy of Cooking way of writing recipes out in paragraph form. For nostalgia's sake, I've maintained her style here.

My Family's Date Squares
Family Recipe

Cream together:

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar

Mix in by hand:

1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 3/4 cups quick cooking oatmeal
3/4 teaspoon salt

Pat 1/2 of this mixture into a greased 9x13 inch pan.

In a pot, boil until thickened and then cool:

1 pound dates (pitted and cut in half)
1 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups water

Spread that mixture over the first in the pan, then pat in the remaining oatmeal crumbs until smooth. Bake in a 350F oven for 30 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting and serving.

Comments

These squares look stunning...would love to try them!!
Anonymous said…
We are longtime date bar fans in my family, too. Thanks for the recipe - now I can make them whenever I want!
These look delicious! I love date squares and you never see them mentioned anymore. Going to make them soon!
~~louise~~ said…
We made these Date Squares for the holidays, Andrea! They were delicious!!! Thanks for sharing and a Happy New Year to YOU!!!
ALI RAZA said…
Great Sharing I Like your vision.
I Suggest you another Amazing article on
Life Quotes Please Review and Give FeedBack
hrroman said…

If you are stuck with your Law assignment then in this case you can opt for our Law Assignment Help. we provide the bestLaw assignment writing UK.We also provideContracts Law Homework Help for students across the globe. for more information contact us +16692714848.

emma martin said…
Thanks for a wonderful share. Your article has importaciones your hard work and experience you have got in This field. Brilliant reading .I love it..
Visit: alexa.amazon.com
Espn.com/activate
Hulu.com/activate
amazon.com/mytv
aria315addison said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
yadongbiz said…
it’s really a nice and useful piece of information. I’m happy that you simply shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing. 야한동영상

Also feel free to visit may webpage check this link
야설

Cyfuture Cloud said…
very informative and impressive article. Thanks for sharing with us
Linux Cloud Hosting
Leif said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hello Parent said…
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your insightful blog post. it is really very informative, thanks for sharing this with us.
nearest preschool to me

Popular Posts